In August 2019 the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation distributed the Focus on Flint publication to every Flint mailing address. Focus on Flint captured community data and became a springboard for conversation between Mott Foundation staff and residents. We held 29 community conversations, where we spoke with over 400 residents. Residents told us repeatedly that neighborhood improvements were their top priority. As a result:
- We invited residents to submit ideas for improving neighborhoods in the following categories:
- home improvements; and
- sidewalk/street repair.
- We received 625 ideas from 447 people via the website, notecards, mail and email.
- We announced that we would award $1 million in grants for neighborhood improvement projects in 2020 — and that we would ask residents to vote on how the funds would be spent.
Because we want to work alongside residents every step of the way, we are inviting residents to apply to serve on a Community Panel that will help us design and implement the voting process for $1 million in grants for neighborhood improvements.
Based on the priorities and ideas collected from residents in the fall of 2019, the nine members of the panel will be asked to:
- review the data collected last fall;
- offer input on the ideas for residents to vote on;
- provide feedback on the size of grants for projects;
- help us think through how the voting process should work; and
- encourage neighbors and other Flint residents to vote.
As with any community, there are diverse opinions on a wide range of ideas. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to act on all of the ideas. But we will listen, engage and do our best to be responsive to community input about how to create an inclusive process. The Community Panel will not make final decisions about grants or grantees.
- Applications available February 12, 2020
- Applications due February 19, 2020
- Community Panel notified week of February 24, 2020
- Community Panel meetings March 9–26, 2020
- Public voting begins April, 2020
By submitting your application for the panel, you confirm your availability for the following dates and times:
- Monday, March 9, 2020, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 14, 2020, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 19, 2020, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, March 26, 2020, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
We understand that your availability might change due to circumstances beyond your control. However, panelists must attend the orientation on March 9 in order to participate in the process. These meetings will take place at the Mott Foundation offices at 503 S. Saginaw Street in Flint.
Please see the additional information about the process and expectations on the application form.
How to Apply
Applications to serve on the Community Panel must be received by 4 p.m. on February 19, 2020.
If you have questions about the application or need further clarification, please contact us at 810-237-4888 or email@example.com.